December 9, 2021

SWC Parent Council (Virtual) Meeting Minutes

December 9, 2021

Staff: 

Wanda Mills-Boone

Regrets: Louise Cesario

 

2021/2022 Voting members: Naomi Elias, Karen Roberts, Danielle Rodier, Margaret Sambol, Jay Shurgold, Jill Sibbitt, Rachel Talbot, Crystal Try

Regrets: Olga Blais, Michelle Jardine, Allison Peacocke,

 

Non-voting attendees: Duygu Morewood, Amanda Lancaster, Elise Merrill

 

Meeting called to order (Jay) 6:44

Minutes from November 2021 

Motion to approve minutes from November 2021 meeting. Moved by Jay, seconded by Karen. PASSED.

Principal’s Report (Wanda):

We have the go ahead after the holidays to do school pictures. There will be no class pictures, but we can do individual pictures.  Date is yet to be set. 

 

We received our new gym curtain to separate the two sides of the gym. It’s blue and yellow with the new SWC logo. The curtain means that two classes can now operate in the gym at the same time for phys-ed and/or on inclement weather days. 

 

When we come back from the holidays teachers will once again be asking for confirmation of daily screening, like what was done in September.  Next week children will be coming home with a box of rapid tests as per Ministry directive.  There are 5 tests per box. Wanda will send out a memo to all families about the tests. We have some families planning to spend holidays with other family members and who are planning to spend next week to isolate. We ask that those families let the school know about the planned absences. If any family misses the day the rapid tests are handed out they can come by and pick them up.

 

There were parents asking about what will happen after the holidays – i.e. returning Jan 3 or not. We have no directive yet, but teachers will be directed to be prepared for either in school or at home learning. Kids will come home with all their things as usual.

 

Next week is a week of cheer.  Hat day, pattern day, etc. Classes have been given the choice of doing some or all of the days.  Teachers will reach out to families to let them know what’s happening!

 

The foodbank fundraiser is set up. The school will send home a paper ornament that can be decorated and brought back in to the school to be displayed as a representation of their giving for the community. Normally there would be a giant train for boxes filled with food for the foodbank.

 

In the new year we will talk about some initiatives in the school.  Staff have been asked to fill in a picture of a school house to show the foundation that teachers feel the school should be built on. Parents will also be asked. This will come out in January.

 

Q: There won’t be a class photo, but will there be a composite photo?  A: The photographer is likely to be the same as last year and will be asked to do this.

 

Q: Will there be any guidance with the rapid tests? A:There are instructions in the box, about the administration.  Unsure what additional guidance will be provided to families.

 

Q: Will there be instructions about what to do with leftover tests? A: There is unlikely to be any means to return them.  They can be used however you see appropriate. Date on the tests an expiry of 2023.

 

Teachers report (Wanda)

Ms Cesario was away today, so no staff report. However this is coding week and students may come home talking about coding. 

 

Treasurer’s Report (Allison)

No report

 

Fundraising activities 2021/22 (Crystal)

 

FlipGive: Just under $500

Toppers PizzaFlyer going out soon about a new promo

Labels from Mabel’s Labels, Oliver’s Labels and Loveable Labels:. No update.

Direct donations:.Up to nearly $1000

Indigo: Cancelled fall date, but we should be able to set up a date in the spring.

SWC merchandise: Q: Can this be done in the COVID context?  A (Wanda): Normally there is a staff member who does the ordering. Mme L-B can be contacted to coordinate. We want it to be accessible to all our families!

·       Suggest having clothes shown on website/Facebook page and the option to order whenever. Suggestion that grade 6 kids be given graduation gear. 

Purdy’s chocolate fundraiser: Q: has this been done before? A (Naomi): Feasibility will depend on how delivery gets done.  Volunteer effort is often high and we haven’t had the capacity. Always lots of interest in chocolate though, so worth exploring!

 

ACTION ITEM: Jay will reach out by email to set up a stand-alone fundraising meeting, within rules/limitations imposed by COVID.  

 

 

Junior book purchase - Naomi 

$1000 was spent at Chapters (on Black Friday).  90% of books have arrived and every book has been labelled with “SWC Resource Room”. They will be ready for circulation by January.  Staff were asked about books they’d like.  Most are geared towards inclusion and some challenging topics.  Books will be placed in bins within the resource room for teachers to bring to classrooms. Given the volume of books we were able to purchase, we may not need to spend additional funds on books later in the year.

Librarian has gone through the list that staff asked for to highlight those already in the library for teachers to borrow.  The additional list of books circulated to council includes books that were unavailable and/or not purchased. 

 

Food Bank fundraiser (Margaret) 

Website link is live and ready to go!  Margaret will craft something for Wanda to circulate.

 

Donations of pots and pans, Tonka trucks, soccer balls, etc

Kinder team was quite excited by the things that Council is going to purchase for the kinders. They liked the idea of being able to ask for donations from families of some specific things too!  They will be in touch early in the new year with a list of items they would like.  Comment: Consider getting list out early in the next year to try and catch post-Christmas purge.  Must stipulate plan for receiving items and we must have a plan for storage.

 

Q: Is there any risk that Parkwood Hills won’t be available for use by SWC?  No, but it’s a year to year decision from the board, but we are fine for this year.  The board always appreciates the risks for children walking from Meadowlands if Parkwood Hills isn’t allowed as a through-fare.

 

Meeting Adjourned: 7:50 pm

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.