September 15, 2022

SWC Parent Council (Hybrid) Meeting Minutes

September 15, 2022

Staff: 

Hanif Jamal

Megan Skantelbery


2021/2022 Voting members:, Karen Roberts, Danielle Rodier, Margaret Sambol, Jay Shurgold, Allison Peacocke, Olga Blais,


Non-voting attendees: Tracy Cole, Elise Merrill, Jill McDougall and James Bent, Monika Petridis, Rachel Watterson, Kailey Ono, Hi Lee, Cara Baas, Mike Atherton and Amanda Lancaster, Sarah Patience Goge, Jody McDonnell, Gwaher Almosa, Andrew Lessard, Thao Hoang, Luthor Nguyen


Meeting called to order (Jay) 6:32

Minutes from June 2022  

Motion to approve minutes from June 2022 meeting. Moved by Jay, seconded by Margaret. PASSED.

Principal’s Reports (Hanif and Megan):

See attached presentation: 2022.09_Principal and VP report.pdf


Treasurer’s Report (Allison)

Council FY runs September 1-August 31.  Despite another pandemic year, we had $3000 come in through school cash online. A total of $5310 brought in last year.  Parent involvement grant from last year remains to be spent ($1000).  Pizza days have historically been our biggest fundraiser.  To start this year we have $5600.  


Fundraising activities 2022/23 (Jay)


First fundraiser could be held during meet the teacher September 22 (5-7pm) – pizza and drinks

  • Healthy schools protocols should be followed


Ideas for 2022/23:

  • Couple rainbarrel.ca fundraiser with a mulch event

  • Pizza lunch  

    • Need school approval and a volunteer coordinator and volunteers to help on pizza days

    • H. Jamal: it’s ok to move ahead with this

    • Pizza providers must sign to confirm that they meet nutritional guidelines

    • K. Roberts to start process moving (ACTION ITEM)

    • M. Petridis can facilitate discussion with Gabriel’s

  • Food truck night

  • Ice cream night

  • Multicultural night – Mike Atherton/Amanda Lancaster to help coordinate

  • Indigo night


During pandemic:

  • Friday Family Pizza nights – positive relationship with Toppers pizza


Looking forward:

  • Council meetings will be the second Thursday of each month

    • Voting for council will happen at October 13th meeting

    • Council has moved to using OCDSB email account in the hopes of avoiding emails ending up in junk; some challenges still exist.

    • Meeting format for council meetings moving forward will be determined after results from council survey are received.  Preference for meeting start time appears to be 6pm;

  • Mulch event: Will reschedule planned Sept 17 mulch event to October and keep spring one in calendar (Saturday April 29, 2023) 

    • Doing a bake sale alongside may help raise some additional funds

    • Q: Is OCDSB permitting required for outdoor events?  A (H. Jamal): Best practice is to apply for many reasons.  

  • Fun Night: June 1, 2023

  • Movie nights: Nov 18, Jan 27, Apr 21; coordinator needed


Q: Can we provide an email to parents about fundraising options?  A (Jay): Yes, great idea (ACTION ITEM)


Q: Can direct donations through school cash online be online:  A (Hanif) - Should be able to get the system set up for October. ACTION ITEM: Margaret to follow-up



Meeting Adjourned: 8:01 pm


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.